Click HERE for the 2013 CDP Report
Winslow's is passionately committed to environmental sustainability and community engagement. A few of the ways we do this are:
- Composting all the organic matter the kitchen produces through a pilot municipal program and three Earth Machine composters
- Recycling oyster shells to remove them from the waste stream and get them back into Wellfleet Harbor.
- Recycling wine corks by donating them to the Harwich Conservation Trust which sells them to raise funds for conservation efforts.
- Utlizing 7 recycling bins through Nauset Disposal that handle all of our cardboard, paper, plastic, tin, aluminum and glass.
- Purchasing all of the greens and herbs from our Wellfleet Community Garden plot that local farmer, Kathleen Bacon produces.
- Maintaining two kitchen gardens that produce additional herbs, vegetables and garnishes
- Complying with and meeting the Cape Cod Community Development Partnership's comprehensive Green Certification standards
Striving where feasible, to purchase environmentally preferable products and services that meet the restaurant's needs. Where possible, purchasing decisions favor:
- Products that are recyclable, reusable or compostable
- Products that serve several functions (e.g., copier/printers, multipurpose cleaners) and reduce the overall number of products purchased
- Products that reduce waste, air and water pollution
- Products that reduce greenhouse gas emissions or are made with renewable energy
- Products that reduce the use of chemicals that are hazardous to the environment and employee and public health
- Products that contain the highest possible percentage of postconsumer recycled content
Suppliers who strive to improve their environmental performance and provide environmentally preferable products, and who can document the supply-chain impacts of their efforts.
The purchase of environmentally preferable products is part of our long-term commitment to the environment. By sending a clear signal to producers and suppliers about this commitment, we hope to support wider adoption of environmentally preferable products and practices.